If the thought of hovering 35,000 feet above the ground in a giant metal cylinder causes you anxiety, you’re not alone. As many as a quarter of Americans suffer from some degree of flight anxiety, and some people grow anxious at the very sight of an airplane. If you’re dreading an upcoming flight, there are ways you can manage your anxiety and reach your destination in peace. Some travelers opt for in-flight cocktails, others for prescription medication. One of the simplest and most natural remedies, though, is cannabidiol, or CBD.
What Is CBD?
CBD is a compound of the cannabis plant, responsible for many of the therapeutic and medicinal effects of marijuana. Since it’s a separate compound from THC, CBD doesn’t lead to intoxication on its own. However, it does appear to have a positive impact on anxiety. In laboratory and clinical trials, CBD has been shown to reduce both the behavioral and physiological effects of anxiety. Some researchers have proposed that this may be due to the compound’s positive effect on serotonin levels in the brain.
What’s the Best Way to Take CBD?
There are numerous ways to absorb CBD into the body. There are CBD tinctures, capsules, edibles, vape oil preparations, and topical solutions. There are even CBD bath bombs. Or, if you’re someone who likes to partake of the classic herb, CBD can be found in all marijuana products.
If you want to experience the greatest anti-anxiety benefit on a flight, however, you’ll need to plan your pre-flight consumption carefully. Arguably one of the best and most effective ways to consume CBD is using CBD oil as an oral application. There are a number of benefits to this method:
1. Very little is required. Just place the liquid under your tongue, wait about a minute, and then swallow.
2. CBD oils are prepared in tincture form, making them more bioavailable (easier to absorb) than other preparations. As a result, the treatment takes effect more quickly and is more potent.
3. CBD oils require only the active ingredient and a carrier oil. There are no added chemicals or ingredients.
4. CBD oil is free of THC. Since high concentrations of THC can actually exacerbate anxiety symptoms, this ensures that there are no unpleasant side effects.
5. This method doesn’t require you to haul around a vape pen or other paraphernalia (which can cause tremendous headaches when you’re dealing with airport security).
How Can I Get the Most From CBD?
If you do opt for the CBD oil solution, you’ll want to take it about a half hour before your flight. On average, the treatment should take effect within 20-40 minutes, and the effect should last between 4 and 6 hours. If you’re new to CBD, start with a low dosage of about 25mg. If you don’t achieve the desired result, you can increase the dosage incrementally.
If you decide on an alternative method of CBD consumption, such as:
- Vaping: You should feel the benefits in less than 10 minutes.
- Topical application: It can take about an hour before you notice the benefits.
- Edibles: Depending on the type of edible and the state of your immune system, you may have to wait anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours before noticing the benefits. This method isn’t recommended if you don’t already know how your body responds to edibles.
Finally, if you decide to stick with a simple marijuana-based treatment, just make sure that your strain has a CBD:THC ratio of at least 10:1. This will ensure that you experience the benefits of CBD without any anxiety-inducing side effects from the THC.
Now that you’ve gotten the anxiety taken care of, you can just sit back, lower your tray table, and enjoy your flight in peace.