There are so many ways to consume cannabis. You can dry the buds, roll them into a joint, and smoke it. You can also smoke it using a glass pipe, a bong, or a water pipe. You can also opt for cannabis in e-liquid form and use vaporizers to inhale the smoke. Then there’s cannabis in oil form, which you can directly swallow, place under your tongue, mix with your food, or take orally in a capsule. You can also use the oil to mix it with another skin product and apply it topically.
But have you ever thought about eating and drinking cannabis raw?
While taking cannabis raw sounds really gross, there are people who do just that and swear by its effectiveness. In fact, here are some of the reasons why you should consider taking cannabis raw:
1. Raw cannabis won’t get you high. This is because in its natural state, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, is not really psychoactive and does not create a high. This means that the plant is just loaded with nutrients without the mind-altering effects.
2. Cannabis leaves are rich in fiber. Cannabis leaves, just like all leafy greens, are loaded with fiber. High fiber foods can aid with digestion and are very good for your mental health and immune system. You can enjoy this benefit by tossing the leaves in a blender and drinking it as a smoothie. Or you can cut the leaves in small bits and add it to your fresh salad. Some users reported that raw leaves can be rough on the stomach lining, so the smoothie is your best bet.
3. Raw cannabis is rich in cannabinoid acids. Cannabinoid acids are the acidic form of cannabinoids and they are found in the raw or unheated state of cannabis. In other words, cannabinoid acids are the precursors to the cannabinoids we know, including cannabidiol (CBD), THC, and cannabigerol (CBG). Cannabinoid acids offer many health benefits without its psychoactivity. They possess antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective, anti-emetic, pain relief, cancer-fighting properties.
4. Raw cannabis is rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Leafy green vegetables are packed with nutrients like iron, folate, calcium, vitamin C, and vitamin K. Cannabis is no different. It contains all these nutrients, plus the cannabinoid acids like CBDA and THCA. These vitamins and antioxidants help users battle stress and prevent cancer.
5. Raw cannabis is rich in terpenes. Cannabis terpenes are the aromatic properties of the cannabis plant. Aside from giving a particular strain or variety its own distinct aroma, terpenes also possess therapeutic qualities, including its calming and relaxing properties. However, most terpenes get burnt when cannabis is smoked. So that decreases the drug’s medical potential.
If you want to get the most of the medical benefits that cannabis can offer, you may want to try consuming it raw.